MaputoMaputo province is the southernmost province of the country. Matola is the capital of the province. Maputo is an urban centre characterised by the lovely mix of new and ancient buildings as well as large tree-lined streets with the acacias and flamboyant jacarandas. To the east of Maputo lies the Indian Ocean and the bay is close by. There are many things for tourists to do including tours of historical buildings such as the ‘yellow House’ (A building from the colonial era), the beautiful botanical gardens of Tunduru, romantic boat trips to nearby islands like Inhaca, browsing for souvenirs in the open air markets and so much more. The coastline makes Maputo special and the Ponta de Ouro Beach is worth visiting.
City of Maputo:
Formerly known as Lourenço Marques, Maputo is the capital city of Mozambique. This port city sits on the Maputo bay. It still has many remnants of the colonial days but it is a growing and developing city. Maputo is the largest city in the country. Some of the main attractions include the Cathedral of Our Lady of Conception, the Natural History museum and the fort of Na Senhora da Conceciao. Tourists will enjoy the many restaurants dotted around the city which serve good quality seafood.
Maputo is accessible by plane from Europe via Lisbon and from Johannesburg in South Africa. It is also easily accessible by road from Swaziland and South Africa. These are the districts of Maputo Province:-
- Boane District
- Magude District
- Manhiça District
- Marracuene District
- Moamba District
- Namaacha District
- Matutuine District
Photo by Rohan Reddy on Unsplash
Places of Historical interest - Monuments & Impressive Architecture
- The Catholic Cathedral built in 1944, which is found on Independence Square (Praca de Independencia)
- The Museum of Natural history, a large building with many exhibits.
- The House of Iron, Casa de Ferro, built in 1892
- The Museum of the Revolution
- The statue of the late Samora Machel (a Revolutionary leader and former president) found on Praca de Independencia’
The province of Maputo and the city of Maputo have several beautiful natural attractions. Visitors will find many of these are within easy reach and they are great places to escape to for the day, these include:-
- The Waterfall at Namaacha
- Inhaca Island which is 34 kilometres away, accessible via a scenic boat ride.
- Catembe another gorgeous island, from here visitors can see a great view of the city
- Pequenos Libombos Dam
- The Bazar de Baixa – or simply the central Market. Tourists who come here can be engrossed for hours as they browse the various stalls. Popular for fresh produce and various local crafts.
- The Tunduru Botanical Gardens
- Maputo Bay
- Maputo city has several vibrant nightclubs, bars and a Casino these can be found in Fere de Populare.